Beatrice da Ros-Bournier
Daniel Lopez Roca
Jean-Luis Da Ros
Herve Romat Conseil
Paul Robert Blom
René van Hoven
South Africa / Mauritius
THE JUDGING PROCESS
Products will be judged in accordance with the variety or type (class) to which it belongs and in which it has been entered.
The International 100 point OIV system is used.
All products are judged ‘blind’, thus the judges aren’t aware of the origin of the product being adjudicated and aren’t influenced by product packaging.
- Platinum- 96 points or higher
- Gran d’Or (Double Gold)- 93 to 95.99 points
- Gold- 89 to 92.99 points
- Silver- 86 to 89 points
No bronze medals or merit awards are awarded.
In accordance with the OIV regulations, only the top one third of total entries in the Michelangelo International Wine & Spirits Awards will be eligible for medals, and are calculated according to the judges’ final scores.
Trophies are awarded to class winners as follows:
- MCC Grand Prix Trophy
- MCC Dessert Grand Prix Trophy
- Toneleria Naçional Coffee Pinotage Trophy
- JF Hillebrand Pinotage Trophy
- Michelangelo Golden Oldie Trophy
- Michelangelo Brandy Trophy
- Michelangelo Garagiste Trophy
- RX South Africa Organic Trophy
- Juvenal Chenin Blanc Trophy
- TM Mercurey French Style Red Blend Trophy
- African Cellar Supplies Methode Classique Trophy
- African Cellar Supplies Pinot Noir Trophy
- IQ Business Most Innovative Wine Trophy
- TRANE Cape Blend Trophy
- TRANE International Trophy
- Michelangelo Liqueur Trophy
- SACDI Trophy for Most Innovative Spirits
- SACDI Trophy for Craft Gin
- SACDI Trophy for Craft Vodka
- SACDI Trophy for Craft Rum
- Tsogo Sun Cabernet Franc Trophy
The Awards are independently audited to ensure that the following criteria is met-
- Entry forms received match product samples kept in storage (Name, Vintage, Cultivar, Class etc).
- WSB / Lab analysis received match samples received.
- Samples are stored at correct temperature.
- Judges aren’t aware of the names of products being tasted.
- Products are tasted ‘blind’ in the correct order.
- No undue influence is placed on judges which might influence scores.
- Trophy winning products are the top scoring products within their class or category.
- Score sheets are reviewed to ensure that they match the points awarded.
- Incorrect entries are removed, corrected and if necessary- re-tasted by another panel of judges.
- Only an estimated top one third of entries are awarded a medal.
- Results presented for public announcement and publication were not manipulated in any way.